Tuesday, February 9, 2010

first week of classes

Hi everyone!
I just got back from the library across town, possibly the coldest bike ride I've had yet. My hands were so frozen it took me forever to lock up my bike. So today I've officially been in class for a week. It feels so strange, now that everything is getting into a routine and it feels like I've been here for a long time already. I miss certain things about home (and all of you of course), but it really is great here. As for my classes, I really like all of them. My favorite is the religion one, since we are reading a book that just bashes Jerry Falwell and we get to argue over the purpose of the veil and secularism and stuff- right up my alley. I'm only taking three classes here, and on the block system, so I have 8 hours of class a week and Wednesdays and Fridays off. It's kind of great, but there still is a lot of work. I have a paper due every week for my Religion and Modernity in Global Context class, and have to read six chapters a week (and understand them) for my intense Consciousness class. I don't think I'll be doing much for my Dutch culture class though, other than reading a novel or two. . . well, maybe I should check the syllabus at some point. I think I am finally registered for all of my classes, which was a hassle. You have to go to the head of each faculty and get the one person who is always on lunch break to sign a piece of paper. I've been exploring the university buildings lately. They are all constantly busy until exactly five then everyone quits for the day- even the libraries are pretty empty. One weird thing about the libraries is that you can't bring your bag or coat with you into the them, so they make you get a locker and a basket for your stuff. Kind of pointless.

Today my friend bought a bike from this guy 'Carlos' whose name and number he got at a bar last night. It was definitely stolen- when he walked up to him the guy just said 'give me the money I'm being watched the bike is green and around back'. The broken back lock was still on it. Immoral, but awesome.

This weekend was pretty intense. Well, actually the whole week, since people go to out all week long and then travel on the weekend. Basically when people don't go out everyone I live with ends up congregating in the kitchen till about 4AM. I never thought I'd say this, but living in a dorm is actually pretty fun. The experience is a lot like freshman year but without the drama or awkwardness. But tomorrow I'm going to be responsible and get up early to go to the Hague after the market to see the MC Escher Museum, the little city thing and explore all the old buildings. Sunday I am going with a lot of the international students are going to Den Bosch, which is in the south of Holland to celebrate Valentine's Day. It's supposed to be the Carnival of the Netherlands. Any ideas for a costume?

The other day I booked a trip to Berlin with a couple of my friends. We go in three weeks! I've decided to embrace my German heritage and the train tickets were pretty cheap, so why not? I'm also planning trips to France in March, Copenhagen/Oslo and Stockholm in March, London in May, and Spain in June. It's amazing how close everything is here, and I know where the soup kitchens in Worcester are at for this summer when I'm broke. It's worth it.

Hope everything is great with everyone!

Ash

Oh! And thank you everyone for all the sweet messages you've all been sending me.

Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

  1. Definitely take advantage of traveling where you can while you're already over there! Sounds like you have some pretty sweet trips planned. Where in France are you headed? Even when you're back home and broke, it will all be worth it, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good time. We should try to meet up when you come to London! Also, I'm still working on my spring break plans, but I'll definitely be in Amsterdam at some point during it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! absolutely let me know. I'll eventually know what's gong on with london and let you know

    ReplyDelete